MiNT is UNIX like OS for Atari machines, which combine UNIX and TOS worlds very nicely.
It is infact best thing which can happen to an Atari computer :) There were few distributions
but recently there is only one, but it is a very good one!
Modern MiNT distributions:
EasyMiNT is modern MiNT distribution based on RPM packages from SpareMiNT
repository. Installer make it relatively easy to install and latest version also includes
great XaAES freeware AES and Teradesk desktop application. Strongly recomended
for anyone looking to have complete and stable MiNT setup! For new or more exotics applications
check SpareMiNT repository and install individual packets. All you need u can get here:
- Debian GNU MiNT is
Nocrew's distribution and it comply to all Debian standards!
Basic packet is already available and it can be used as good platform
for manual building of system or installing DEB packages or
even to install SpareMiNT packages..
Get it HERE ! It is a bit outdated though!
FreeMiNT for Newbies!
MiNT Guide is HYPertext about
FreeMiNT for absolute begginers! Im sure it will clear a lot of
misunderstandings and secrets concerning FreeMiNT and MiNT OS.
Note: It is slightly outdated as well, but it does offer nice insight of what MiNT
**** NOTE: TEXT BELLOW IS OUTDATED! ****
Because KGMD is outdated and new MiNT users are not used to fiddle with UNIX
filesystem structure, and tar and gzip archivers etc.... i decided to compile some of
"most wanted" programs and make "easy to install" package...I named them YesTOOLS. But i
only gather them and make them easier to install, i didn't wrote them. they were written and
ported to MiNT by other enthusiasts! OK, u must be logged as root (root is kinda "god"
in UNIX systems, do all of your system mainentance as root, and work as "normal" user) and
copy YesTOOLS.tar in your home dir. Unpack it with "tar xvf YesTOOLS.tar" (note: if u
will copy YesTOOLS.tar from TOS partition, name will be lowercase!) and read docs! After that
just add /usr/local/bin to your PATH variable... And use /usr/local/ directory
for all apps u will add to your MiNT setup.
I hope that will help u with decision to install MiNT and with installation itself!
For any question or if u have suggestions which apps we should port
to MiNT, u may search me (SWE) on IRC #atariscne or email
me. Don't hesitate we will help if
we will be able to!
To make installation of additional applications
as easy as possible, espacialy for begginers, we put together:
(OUTDATED! For KGMD only!)
- YesTOOLS are few MUST HAVE apps for MiNT,
not included in KGMD package. It contains stuff from list below, but whole package
is compiled for EASY setup, so its suitable for MiNT/UNIX
beginners. (lynx installation bug fixed!) Package contains:
- ircII 2.9 Irc client. (DCC patched)
- pppd 2.2.0 (2.1.2 suplied with KGMD is outdated!)
- ftpd 0.09 Latest FTP daemon.
- NCFtp 2.4.2b The BEST ftp client.
- Pine 3.9.6 Mail client.
- Pico 2.9 ASCII editor. (because VI is hard to use)
- Lynx 2.8 ASCII web browser.
- Adduser 2.0 For easier account making.
- Shutdown 0.4 Real shutdown command.
ALL u need to do is: As root untar the package using "tar xvf yestools.tar"
(i recomend u do make new folder for YesTOOLs.) Then u just type "./install"..
Thats all folks! After installation u may delete YesTOOLs package!
NOTE: Those apps in YesTOOLS arent newest available, PINE for
example is now up to version 4.10, but both 4.05 and 4.10 dont work
correctly (4.05 cant send big files and 4.10 produce corrupted MIME
attachments), same with IRC client.. U may update those after some
time by yourself...
There are some apps and tools needed for better
- Bash 2.0.2 shell.
- Pine mailer 3.9.6
- Lynx ASCII browser 2.8.
- IrcII client 2.9 (4.4)
- Ncftp ftp client 2.4.2
- Fetchpop POP3 client
- Apache HTTPD
- Emacs editor.
- PPPD patched for 115200 bps and patched kernel
- Cron 3.0.1 patchlevel 1.
- SSH Security SHell 1.2.23.
- Vconsoles from Petr Stehlik (Videl bug patch, New text attributes,
Your own resolutions).
- Lpd printer daemon 5.90.
- Nfs server.
- Pcnfsd from SUN.
- Vconsoles from Steven Moore
(User Defined resolution, colors - mono and bitplane res) - 16.05.1999
- MiNTbin utils
0.3 MiNTbin utils 0.3 from Guido Flohr - 02.07.99
YesCREW's MiNT releases/ports
- Adduser2.0a Adduser from Linux (Draco) - 08.01.1999
- Ftpd-10 new FTP daemon. (Draco - 08.01.1999)
- Ftp new binary. ([Draco] - 07.01.1999)
- Musicin Mpeg2 encoder (18% faster now). (Draco)
- Shutdown 0.5 A "proper" shutdown command. (Draco)
- Dhrystone Accurate dhrystone test. [Draco)
- Unic MiNT Filesystem structure explorer v2.6. (Kellis)
- MiNT Setter MiNT kernel and
system setter v4.0 (Kellis)
- Make tool 3.76.1. (artTBL)
- Pull archive tool 3.3. (artTBL)
- Micq New ICQ clone. (Kellis - 17.12.1999) *NEW*
- Ping New ping command. (Draco)
- Unzip 5.32 client. (Draco)
- Unix ZIP 2.2 client. (Draco)
- Uptime compiled with pl49 libs. (Draco)
- VMtest. (Draco)
- E2fsprogs Ext2 Tools (Frank - 05.05.2000) *New
- Ext2 0.57 Driver! (Frank - 10.11.1999)
- CacheSet (Draco - 07.10.1999)
- Shutdown Master - GEM Shutdown (Draco - 10.11.1999) *NEW*
- Minix FS 0.74 - MinixFS driver (Frank - 18.12.1999) *NEW*
- Uart 0.51 - Uart Milan Driver (Frank - 05.05.2000) *NEW*
- SCC 0.16 - SCC Drivers (Frank - 05.05.2000) *NEW*
- Greed - FTP/HTTP download tool (Kellis - 07.01.2000) *NEW*
- Bladeenc 0.92 - MP3 enocoder (Kellis - 01.03.2000) *NEW*
- EZppp - Easy MiNT Net setting script (Kellis - 30.04.2000> *NEW*
- EZppp - Easy MiNT virtual consoles kit
Docs (SWE - 18.04.2002> *NEW*
New MiNT system calls
rev. 26. October 1998.
This tables describes all MiNT functions those aren't
documented anywhere else, mostly cause of new MiNT kernel
versions. It also tries to correct common mistakes and
misleading information (if any) found in the most popular
All u need for successfull MiNT installation u will find HERE
- KGMD 1.0 Knarf's German MiNT Distribution - Thats actual MiNT
package with installer.
rev2 That's improved and translated (to english) KGMD's
documentation. Some hints and new tools added as well.
- MiNT Net 1.04Latest
MiNT Network package. U need it ! IP Masquarading supported!
FTP sites with MiNT stuff
(c) Copyright MCMXCVI - MMXVI by YesCREW